Perio Plastic Surgery
Many of the procedures involving the gum and bone can be considered plastic surgery. Perio plastic surgery can improve many different situations such as:
- Gummy smiles – when an abnormal amount of gum tissue shows when someone smiles. This is usually corrected with crown lengthening.
- Uneven gum tissue height – this is usually corrected with crown lengthening.
- Missing teeth – this can be corrected with fixed bridges or with implants.
- Defects in the bone – when tooth loss occurs there is typically a loss of the bone that surrounded the lost tooth. The resulting defect can be treated to return the bone to its previous state. This treatment is known as ridge augmentation.
- Combination therapy – when just the periodontal procedures are insufficient, restorative procedures are needed to obtain the proper alignment, shape, and color of the teeth.